Things to do in Amsterdam

Image
 Amsterdam Every year, to celebrate my birthday, I travel somewhere, in 2019 I went to Morocco , in 2020 to Israel and this year (2022) I decided to visit Amsterdam. It was a long time since I wanted to visit this city and there I have a friend that I wanted to see, so with these three points combined, I decided to visit Amsterdam in winter. I spent five days in Amsterdam and I visited the city plus some places outside like Zaanse Schans, Zandvoort and Haarlem. One important thing is that I forgot my camera so all the pictures were taken with my phone, maybe the quality is not high but I think they are anyway beautiful. Amsterdam is the capital and the most populous city of the Netherlands, with a population close to a million. It is colloquially referred to as the "Venice of the north" due to the large number of canals which form a UNESCO world heritage site since 2010. Amsterdam was founded at the Amstel, the city's name derives from the Amstel dam, originating as a sm

Things to do in Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon

I went to Lisbon in September 2021, just after my experience in Kyrgyzstan. After two months in Kyrgyzstan, I came back for two days at home in Budapest then left again for Lisbon. There I participated in a photographic project organised by Let Me Italian You; they organize events where people from different cultures can share their passion for photography while they are discovering a city.
The program was made with workshops, guided tours of the city and photoshoots in four days. Usually, I travel alone and I organise by myself the travel experience, but I like the way that Massimiliano and Gabriele from Let me Italian You organise these projects and I support all the concepts.

Downtown Lisbon

On the first day, in the morning we had a workshop about "the light of Lisbon", at the IADE university. It was an interesting lecture about the particularly light that you can find in Lisbon, photographically speaking, and also about framing and perspective. After lunch, we visited downtown with a guide, Lisbon Baixa is the historical centre of the city where there are Avenida de Liberdade, the main avenue, with a lot of shops and bars, Pracia do Comercio, the big square in front of the river, and the castle.






The weather was amazing, September is a good period to visit Portugal. The city tour was a nice opportunity to know the other photographers of the group and build up the group dynamics, and discover the different backgrounds stories of each one. This part of Lisbon is nice for street photography, and the riverside is really beautiful. 

Alfama

The morning after we had another guided tour to Alfama, the oldest neighbourhood of Lisbon. Personally, I loved this part of the city, small streets, a lot of life and colours that gave me tons of ideas for pictures. The place and the group inspired me that morning, and that gave me a nice feeling that made me happy.
 






In the afternoon we had a landscape photography workshop, and after it, we went to the Belvedere of Our Lady of the Hills to practice what just learn. I have to confess that I don't like landscape photography and I was more focused on taking photos of the band that was playing there. 

Lisbon by night

After the landscape photography session, with a small group, we went by boat to the other side of the river to be close to the Lisbon Bridge and see the sunset from there. We were a bit late, so we missed the golden hour, and it was cloudy, but it was nice anyway. We didn't spend much time there because it got dark soon and we had an appointment for dinner with the rest of the group, but it was worth it because the colours and the atmosphere was good.





The sunset with these black clouds make a strange atmosphere with very cool colours, plus there was a group of drummers that were playing on the riverside. It was a nice situation for taking pictures and sharing good hints with the others.

Lx Factory

On the third day, we had a portrait workshop and a portrait session with models. Recently I discovered that I like portrait photography, and these opportunities are amazing to develop this technique, plus I loved the location, Lx Factory. The place is an abandoned industrial complex that now hosts more than 200 businesses like bars, restaurants, shops, showrooms and offices. I really suggest going to this place while visiting Lisbon, even just for a little stroll.




For me, it was a great opportunity to shoot with models, and I am really happy with the picture that I got. It's nice also to shoot with other photographers and share ideas and knowledge, and steal also something. I remember that after that day I was really happy and full of good vibes, like having the time of my life.

Belem

On the last day, we had a guided tour of Belem, a distinct in west Lisbon, that is famous for its museums and monuments, like the Jeronimos Monastery, the Belem Tower and the Belem Palace, the official residence of the president of Portugal. Of course, here we ate the famous Pastel de Belem, (delicious, a must-do). The historical past of this district, bonded with the colonial history of Portugal is important to know, and the guide was really good in explaining it.



It was the perfect day for a walk on the riverside, and also for relaxing while putting your feet in the water. The atmosphere here was really beautiful, nice weather, a lot of people and street artists playing nice music, I was enjoying the situation and I took just the essential pictures.

Sintra, Pena Palace

In the afternoon, with a small group, we took a taxi to Sintra, and in particular to the Pena Palace. The Palace is on the Sintra mountains, it is a national monument, a UNESCO world heritage and one of the seven wonders of Portugal. The colours of the Palace are characteristic, and it is part of the things that makes Pena Palace one of the major expression of 19th-century Romanticism in the world.




The Pena Palace is divided into the Palace itself, the park and the castle. It is possible to visit all of them with one ticket, but we visited only the park and the palace from outside, we didn't have enough time and it was expensive.

Cabo do Roca

Our main target that day was the sunset at Cabo do Roca, the westernmost point of continental Europe and the Eurasian landmass. 
The sunset there was magical, it was super windy, so really cold and difficult even to stand, but we enjoyed the amazing atmosphere.







It was a really inspiring situation photographically speaking, with amazing light and colours, and at the end also a full moon rising. I have to say that a nice part was also sharing immediately with the others the magic of the situation we were living in, when I'm travelling alone I can't do this. 
I was surprised in a positive way by Lisbon, a dynamic city, with a good vibe, I would like to live there. The trip, in general, was really good, Gabriele and Massimiliano organised it in a perfect way and the participants were cool people, I bonded with several of them and I think I will see someone soon.


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your travels -- Lisbon looks and sounds like a wonderful place to wander around and explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Yes Lisbon is a must to be place in Europe!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kyrgyzstan Diaries #3

Travel in Georgia, second part east Georgia | Travel blog

Things to do in Israel, Tel Aviv

D