Things to do in Amsterdam

Image
 Amsterdam Every year, to celebrate my birthday, I travel somewhere, in 2019 I went to Morocco , in 2020 to Israel and this year (2022) I decided to visit Amsterdam. It was a long time since I wanted to visit this city and there I have a friend that I wanted to see, so with these three points combined, I decided to visit Amsterdam in winter. I spent five days in Amsterdam and I visited the city plus some places outside like Zaanse Schans, Zandvoort and Haarlem. One important thing is that I forgot my camera so all the pictures were taken with my phone, maybe the quality is not high but I think they are anyway beautiful. Amsterdam is the capital and the most populous city of the Netherlands, with a population close to a million. It is colloquially referred to as the "Venice of the north" due to the large number of canals which form a UNESCO world heritage site since 2010. Amsterdam was founded at the Amstel, the city's name derives from the Amstel dam, originating as a sm

Things to do in Morocco, Merzouga

Merzouga

We did 3 days organised tour from Marrakesh to Merzouga, thanks to our host in Marrakesh we found, for a nice price, the possibility to see the desert.
Usually, I try to avoid these organised tours because I prefer the experience to do it by myself, I think it's more authentic and also I can know better the reality of the place.
In this case, we decided to do it because the host suggested that is the safest way to go to the desert. 

Atlas mountains

Atlas

The first part of the trip was on the Atlas mountains because which separate the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean from the Sahara desert, our destination. The word mountain in some Berber languages is Adrar or Adras, these terms are believed to be cognates of the atlas.
I was lucky to find this fog that gave a strange atmosphere to the picture: it was sunny but with the fog, there was the snow but my destination was the desert.

It's a long way if you wanna rock n roll

The highest peak of the Atlas is 4167 m tall, and it stretches around 2500 km through Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. The picture was taken at 2000 m elevation, and this is one of the most famous picture places in the Atlas, the street is following the shape of the mountain to allow you to cross it.

Ouarzazate

Ait Benhaddou

It is a historic fortified village between the Sahara and Marrakesh, it is considered an example of Moroccan earthen clay architecture and for this, since 1987, it is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
It is considered also Moroccan Hollywood because a lot of famous movies (The Gladiator, Lawrence of Arabia, for example) and TV series (Games of Thrones) were shot here. I discovered this when I took this picture and, for your information, on the right, there is the big gate used for GOT.

The bridge

February is "winter" also in Morocco, so this is the season the river should be full of water and in its a bigger extension, but as you can see in the picture it almost disappeared.
What I like the most is the virtual bridge: people are jumping on the stones, like kids, to cross the river, really nice to see. 

Glimpse

Today it is only sparsely inhabited by several families. Most local inhabitants now live in modern dwellings in the village on the other side of the river. In the picture, you can see the bridge and the village on the other side, and on the left a small shop at the bottom of the fortress, I like these shops because they are colourful. 

Dades valley

Keffiyeh

The most common thing to buy in Morocco and, especially, on the way to the desert is a keffiyeh. There are shops everywhere, also on the streets and especially in the most famous photo spots on the way to the desert. I really like them because the keffiyeh is exposed outside and the wind moves them empathising with their beautiful colours.

The world outside

During this trip, we passed a lot of time on the bus, and looking out the window was a surprise every second. The landscapes were amazing, especially crossing the atlas. In the picture you can see my friend enjoying the view, I like the light from outside and the dark inside, a nice balance.

Tinghir

Colours

The morning after we continue the trip to Merzouga stopping in Tinghir, where we visited a place where carpets were made and sold, of course, this stop was mainly a tentative to sell us carpets, but anyway, it was interesting because of the hospitality of the people, I had the opportunity to learn something, and also because seeing these colourful carpets was a pleasure.

One street

The route to the desert is amazing because of these landscapes: first, the mountains, then km after km the colours pass from the green of the plant life to the red/yellow of the desert.
In this picture I think is nice to see the village cut in half by the street, and the difference between left and right: forest/desert.

Todra Gorge

The Todra Gorges are a series of wadi near Tinerhir, the height of the canyon walls can vary, but in some places can be up to 400 m high. The last 600 m of the Todra gorge are the most spectacular, here the canyon narrows to a flat stony track, in places as little as 10 m wide, with sheer and smooth rock walls up to 160 m high on each side.

 Merzouga desert

Desert border

Finally, we were at the beginning of the desert, ready to ride a camel and reach our tent where we spent the night. I was there watching the sand, dunes, and camel waiting for us and I decided to watch behind me to see how is the border, and how the desert finishes I took this picture. There was this guy with a bike, the village and this beautiful sky that I forgot, I remember it only when I saw again this picture.

Camping in the desert

We slept one night in the desert, camping in the place in the picture. It was a comfortable situation because we had tap water and a proper toilet, and tajin for dinner.
The most beautiful part was laying on the sand and watching the stars during the night, I can't describe it, it was simply wonderful, I had never seen such amount of stars, I will remember it forever. But it was impossible to stay out for long, it was really cold even inside the tent.

Camel ride

To reach the camp we did like 20 min camel ride, it was an experience but I regret it a bit, I felt really sorry for them, probably they were doing on the same path, many times, every day.
I have to admit that seeing the camel's convoy walking in the desert and also seeing the traces left on the sand was romantic, like a symbol of what you left behind in your life.

Rolling on the dunes

Walking to the camp I heard someone screaming, I looked to my left and I saw the girls in the pictures rolling on the dune and having fun, I had to take a picture, and when I watch it again for this blog it reminds me of a nice moment, but I enjoyed also the contrast sky/sand, in a nice proportion, and the colours of the clothes.

waiting for...

The first thing we did after we left our stuff in the tent was to find the highest dune and climb it on the way to find the perfect spot for the sunset. When we were up we understood that wearing shoes was not a clever idea, so this picture of my friend, waiting for the sunset with her shoes on the side, it makes me smile. Anyway, later when the temperature went down wearing shoes became really important.

Sunset

I will never forget this sunset, step by step we followed the changing of the colours: the sky from blue to yellow, pink and red, the dunes with different shades of yellow, and the clouds from white to yellow and pink. 
Funny story: when it was time to come back to the camp we tried to slide down the dune with a scarf or keffiyeh, but it didn't work, so I decided to roll down the dune and it was wonderful, but there is no documentation about it because nobody took pictures or videos.



In general, the situation there was nice, we were a nice group of people enjoying the opportunity we had, and for example, there I made friends with a Japanese, living in Germany, and the amazing story about this is that we had the opportunity to meet again each other in Tokyo, he is the one on the right in the picture. 

Comments

  1. Wow great photos. Your colors are amazing!! Makes me want to go!! https://imagesbydena.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I really suggest you to go!

      Delete
  2. Hi Flavio. Excellent photos - thank you for sharing them. I particularly like the desert shots, the contrast between the blue sky and orange sand is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems wonderful place, you turned every stone while drafting this blog. I wish to visit these places.
    here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing experience for me! Put it in your list!

      Delete
  4. readandreviewit20 May 2021 at 17:15

    Lovely photos! It seems like you had a wonderful time - makes me want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shoot . Can I use your picture for commercial use?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kyrgyzstan Diaries #3

Things to do in Israel, Tel Aviv

Things to do in Istanbul, Turkish wedding | Travel Blog

D