Things to do in Amsterdam

Image
 Amsterdam Every year, to celebrate my birthday, I travel somewhere, in 2019 I went to Morocco , in 2020 to Israel and this year (2022) I decided to visit Amsterdam. It was a long time since I wanted to visit this city and there I have a friend that I wanted to see, so with these three points combined, I decided to visit Amsterdam in winter. I spent five days in Amsterdam and I visited the city plus some places outside like Zaanse Schans, Zandvoort and Haarlem. One important thing is that I forgot my camera so all the pictures were taken with my phone, maybe the quality is not high but I think they are anyway beautiful. Amsterdam is the capital and the most populous city of the Netherlands, with a population close to a million. It is colloquially referred to as the "Venice of the north" due to the large number of canals which form a UNESCO world heritage site since 2010. Amsterdam was founded at the Amstel, the city's name derives from the Amstel dam, originating as a sm

Things to do in Morocco, Marrakesh

Morocco

I went to Morocco in February 2019, and I celebrated my birthday in Marrakesh.
At work I have a Moroccan colleague, she talked to me a lot about her culture and I couldn't wait to see her country. We organised together this trip, but last minute she decided to quit, I didn't want to miss this opportunity and, fortunately, I had another friend that came with me (you will see her in some of my pictures).
This is one of the trips I enjoyed the most, for the people I knew, the experiences I did and for how much I learned. 

Marrakesh

I have to be honest, in my mind, Marrakesh was completely different from what it is, and I didn't like it, but now thinking about it, a year after, it is a bit different: the experiences I had and the friends I left there to make me enjoy it more.

On the top of the hill

Near the host place, there is a hill, and on the first morning, we decided to climb it to see the view. 
The host lives in the north part of Marrakesh, like half an hour from the centre, so this picture is of the suburbs, the place is really nice and it is still one of the main memory of this trip.

Looking forward

I have to say that this is one of my favourite pictures: my friend looking at the landscape, the blue sky and the fog in the city, I think it is a nice mix. If I want to find a message in this picture it could be "looking forward": you have everything you want in front of you, don't look back and move forward.

Koutoubia mosque

After the hill we went downtown, looking for a place for breakfast, and we stopped at a place in front of the Koutoubia mosque, the picture is from the bar balcony. The mosque is the biggest in Marrakesh, and the minaret, 70 m tall, is a symbol of the city. 

Jama El f'na

It is the main square in the city, in the medina, and also a huge market. The square is the UNESCO Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity from 2001. At the first, I didn't understand the reason for this, the square itself is nothing special, but the environment there is intense, something unique. There is some tourists business, like the possibility to take pictures with monkeys or snakes, but anyway it gave me nice feelings.

Medina

The old city is a big market, with every kind of shops, bars, restaurants, there is also a part where they work the leather and use it for bags, clothes, whatever, and you can see all the process. This picture is not really representative of the medina, but I like it for the colours combination: green, red, orange, white, blue.

Door after door

One of the things I liked the most in Morocco, and mainly in Marrakesh, was to look inside the open gates of the houses, to see how they are inside and catch the decorations, the tiles. This door after door till the garden of the building is like a peek at a private house to catch a moment of local life.

Oranges

Behind the mosque, on the opposite side of Jama el F'na square, there is Parc Lalla Hasna, we went there to enjoy the sun and take a break. It is a nice green area, with benches and a fountain in the middle; in the picture, you can see an orange tree on the left, with some oranges; orange trees are everywhere in Morocco, not only in the parks also on the streets. For example, on my birthday there was the marathon and they were giving oranges to the runners, crazy!.

Inside/outside

After the park we went to a shopping complex called Ensemble Artisinal, this place features colourful artwork, housewares, instruments, clothing and fabrics. For me this picture is the opposite of the previous one "door after door", this time I'm inside, and the combination between the tiles and the textile of the clothes of the ladies are really cool.

Night lights

We went to visit the Medina for dinner, I ate snails, and visit the market at night. As you can see from the picture the atmosphere was magical, lights from the shops, a lot of people around, many more than in the daytime, and sometimes for this, we were blocked in the alleys, I have to say that sometimes it was a bit scary.

Nightlife

Medina is mainly for tourists, especially at night, but not only, is common to see locals doing shopping because it's cheaper than the new part of Marrakesh, where you can find bars, restaurants and clubs very similar to the ones there are in Europe.
About the picture I have to say that my first idea was to photograph the people passing under the arch, I didn't see the woman. I like the warm colours and her expression, it's like she is isolated from other people, the world is moving around her and she is not able to stop it.

Spices

The day after we went again to the Medina, we went around visiting others part of it, this picture is from the Jews part: since 1438, following the great wave of immigration of Jews from Spain, several urban mellahs were created on the Moroccan territory. The Jewish Mellah of Marrakesh has been recognised in 1558. 
What I think is impressive, as a European, is to see these big bags of spices in the markets, with their colours and smell.

Place des ferblantiers

Close to the Jews mellah there's this square that can be translated in "iron workers square" or "tin workers square". As you might expect, the square is occupied almost entirely by small traditional shops with tradesmen crafting their wares from a variety of different metals. Even if you have no desire to buy anything at the square, it is still very much worth a visit. We have been there by chance, we didn't know it is really touristic, as you can see from the picture it was almost empty.

Avenue

After the square, we went back Jama el F'na, and as you can see the minaret is a landmark, you can't get lost in the city. As I told you my friend is in a lot of my pictures, she improves them; in this one, I think it's nice the contrast between her and the environment, emphasised also by the colours, and because she is walking alone.

Gueliz

It is the heart of the modern part of Marrakesh, here there is what usually you can find in a European city: restaurants, shops, big brands, hotels. From what they told me it is where foreigners usually chose to live.
I took the picture from McDonald's terrace, a nice place. We went there to take a rest and enjoy the sunset.

On the top of the hill by night

For our last night in Marrakesh, we went back to the hill, to enjoy the night view. We went there with our host and a group of travellers from Lithuania, who slept with us that night. We brought some beers, talked together, know each other and enjoyed the lights. These kinds of situations are what I like most about travelling: sharing a beer, a view, stories.

Laura and the stars

I used that opportunity for some night pictures, and to photograph the stars, the sky was free of clouds and on top of the hill, there wasn't so much light pollution.
Considering my equipment the result was not so bad, and I can say that Laura did a nice job.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing, I want to visit Morocco, as it looks amazing place :)


    Nic | Nic's Adventures & Bakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also recently went to Marrakesh and found it to be completely different to what I imagined. I loved the colours and vibrancy of the city but struggled with the old Medina as I felt very claustrophobic! Love your photos though, that second one is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I found other cities in Morocco more authentic and more enjoyable than Marrakesh

      Delete
  3. That's so interesting to hear that Marrakesh isn't exactly what you expected. I'd love to go to Morocco and would think of Marrakesh as the first place to visit, so it's good to know to explore other more authentic cities too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you visit Morocco you can't miss Marrakesh, after my trip I suggest to not spend much time in It, and use it to visit the rest of the country that is amazing!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like an exciting trip, and worth a visit! I have a friend who visited Morocco before the pandemic, too. (You did your trip & got home just in time, before the lockdowns!) He also visited Fez, which he said was amazing, and a few other places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went in February 2019, it really worth to visit, and I hope I will be back soon because I didn't see the north, where Fez is for example.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Pictures! Thank you for sharing your trip to Marrakesh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kyrgyzstan Diaries #3

Things to do in Israel, Tel Aviv

Things to do in Istanbul, Turkish wedding | Travel Blog

D