Things to do in Amsterdam

Image
 Amsterdam Every year, to celebrate my birthday, I travel somewhere, in 2019 I went to Morocco , in 2020 to Israel and this year (2022) I decided to visit Amsterdam. It was a long time since I wanted to visit this city and there I have a friend that I wanted to see, so with these three points combined, I decided to visit Amsterdam in winter. I spent five days in Amsterdam and I visited the city plus some places outside like Zaanse Schans, Zandvoort and Haarlem. One important thing is that I forgot my camera so all the pictures were taken with my phone, maybe the quality is not high but I think they are anyway beautiful. Amsterdam is the capital and the most populous city of the Netherlands, with a population close to a million. It is colloquially referred to as the "Venice of the north" due to the large number of canals which form a UNESCO world heritage site since 2010. Amsterdam was founded at the Amstel, the city's name derives from the Amstel dam, originating as a sm

Korea-Japan 4th part Sumo competition

Sumo competition

A Sunday morning I went to see a kids sumo competition, in Minamata, organised by the school I volunteered for.
It was a unique opportunity for me, and a cool experience. Also kids were happy to see me there.
Sumo is the national sport, with baseball, in Japan, and students have to learn it, also because it is part of their tradition; for a European it could be a bit weird, but interesting.


Everything in the right place

In the Japanese school everyone is equal, school provides all the necessary to students.
Shoes stroke me: all the same and also in perfect order. During their course of study, students have to clean their school and serve meals regularly.

Dohyo

Before the competition the ring (dohyo) was prepared putting salt, to purified it.

Pre-match rituals

Every wrestler before to start the match have to clap his hands to attract the attention of gods, extend his arms to his sides and turn his palms upwards to show he is concealing no weapons.

Taich-ai

Before the beginning of the match both sumo players are in a crouching position with their hands in a fist.
When the judge says taich-ai the match starts.

Really!?

Most of the students were at their first time on the dohyo. This one in particular looks not so in to do this competition. He is really disappointed: "Do have I to do this??"

Life sucks


Of course in a competition there are winners and losers. It's always hard to accept a defeat, especially when you are young; fortunately there's someone who consoles you and tells you that a defeat can teach you a lot.

Baby wrestlers

After the competition, mom starts to offer their sons to professional wrestles for a ritual, a kind of sumo baptism.

Mom what are you doing?!

Babies were not so happy to do this, but maybe the meaning of the ritual was to let them cry to ward off the evil spirits.


The ritual

In these three pictures it is possible to see the ritual. In the first two is similar to what the yokozuna (champion wrestler) does on the ring.
In the last one the gyoji (both a referee and a cheerleader who announces the wrestlers' name), dressed like a Shinto priest looks like blessing the newborn.
If you know more about this ceremony let me know, unfortunately I was not able to have more information. 


Comments

  1. Pazzesco!! Solo in Giappone praticano il sumo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Credo di si, ma non ne sono sicuro. Quello che so é che i lottatori professionisti sono per lo piú stranieri, Monogoli per esempio, perché é una vita difficile quella del lottatore professionista che non attira piú i giapponesi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Flavio. That's very interesting. Are all non-Japanese nationals welcome to watch or were you only allowed because you were volunteering? I love the photo captions. Especially "Mom what are you doing?!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richie! Thank you!! I was invited from the community I was volunteering for, the event was open to everyone. In general the sumo events are like every sport events, you buy a ticket and you can join it.

      Delete
  4. Such an interesting post. Thank you for sharing all this information

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! I loved it - particularly the baby sumo wrestlers "to be"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yes that part was really particular and unique!!

      Delete
  6. What a great experience. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I an experience that I will never forget! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post. I never realised that there was so much to sumo. Really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I learned a lot about sumo during that trip

      Delete
  9. That's so interesting they had a sumo competition for kids!
    I would love to visit Japan one day because the culture is so different to the US and Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sumo is one of the nationals sport in Japan, so kids practice it also at school, I was in Japan for one month and it was an amazing experience!

      Delete
  10. wow this is so interesting, i have always been fascinated by japanese culture and how they tech kids at school. didnt know they also have this competitions is so amazing i wish in my country they promote sports more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Volunteering I had the opportunity to go to Japanese schools, it was really interesting! Really different from the European approach!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kyrgyzstan Diaries #3

Things to do in Israel, Tel Aviv

Things to do in Istanbul, Turkish wedding | Travel Blog

D